Advice Pest control

harold posted on May 30, 2008 at 04:57PM
OK, so I would like some advice on managing pests and vermin around our house. I've got two issues.

First, every summer the ant colonies swarm all over the exterior of the house when it gets very hot, and they invariably explore their way into the house. This has been a nuisance in the past, but now that we have a toddler it's a real problem. What's the best way you've found to keep ants out of the house?

Second - and even much more vital - is how to deal with gophers. I would love some advice on getting rid of them. We used to have an empty field at the end of the block on which we live, but that has been developed into a large apartment complex. As such developments do, this involved excavating all the dirt in the field to a depth of 30 feet, which effectively deprived a large gopher colony of its home. They have since migrated into our neighborhood, and regularly devour our plants. I have shoveled out one of our flower beds and our vegetable garden to line them with wire mesh, but that is an impractical solution for the entire front and back yards. I've used poison, but there seem to be two gophers for every one I manage to poison. We've tried flushing them out with water, whereupon I've killed them with a spade (not a pleasant experience, let me tell you). edit: I should also say that lately we can't flush them out any longer, because they've excavated so many tunnels that any amount of water trickles away into the abyssal depths where the balrogs live. I've also tried subterranean gopher traps, which skewer the little devils when they're triggered...or at least they're supposed to do that. The only one I've managed to get that way happened to be a few inches down the hole when I set the trap (all the others have been triggered harmlessly, piercing the walls or ceiling of the tunnel). I'm very frustrated, and all of our plants are dying from the infestation. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
last edited on May 30, 2008 at 05:07PM

Advice 4 majibu

Click here to write a response...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita adavila said…
For the ants try to introduce a ant predator to the environment but you have a toddler so this might be a problem

I cant give you any advice on the other pest because I dont know what a gopher is
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita harold said…
They're like a rodent version of a mole; see link for a typical high-level overview. Edit: unlike moles, they are pests which eat the roots of plants, killing all kinds of desirable garden flora.

What sort of ant predators have you used, or seen used, effectively?
last edited zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita dazl said…
Sounds strange but my gran found the most effective way to keep out ants was to spray them with a window cleaner. She would also spray the door frame and any cracks she could find where they were coming in.

Gophers? Sorry, no experience there.
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita DarkSarcasm said…
My house also has an ant problem - we've invested in these handy little ant traps (Terro Ant Killers). It's basically just poison in a plastic container, but I'd definately be wary if you have a toddler around - the containers are fine if left alone, but they can spill if you put enough effort into it.

As for the gopher problem, the only suggestion I can give you is to watch the movie 'Caddyshack' and take some tips from Carl. ;) Sorry I couldn't be of more help.