A truth about Greece is that if wewe decide to travel there, wewe 'll have a hard time choosing where to go. The big deal about Greece is not her islands au ancient statues, but a huge diversity which combines all of these and many zaidi in a small country. So I'll orodha all the regions in Greece with a little information for tourists :) Greek Mainland
Greek mainland consists of these regions: Thrace, Macedonia, Epirus, Thessaly, Central Greece and Peloponnese.
1. Thrace is an ideal place for agrotourism. There are many fields, rivers, valleys and forests there. Also Xanthi City is famous for its Carnival.
2. Macedonia lies in the northern part of the country, so it's a great place to visit in the winter. Snow, mountains, the dreamy Valia Calda, wildlife, cities on hills and near beautiful lakes. Also it's a place for history lovers because the whole region is full of ancient cities and theaters and of course the royal tombs, including Philip's, father of Alexander the Great. In Macedonia there is the sekunde largest city in Greece, Thessaloniki, famous for its romantic atmosphere and a great number of medieval and byzantine monuments.
3. Epirus is extremely mountainous, it consists of some of the most beautiful nature destinations in Greece. Deep gorges, river canyons, secret paths through dense forests and caves, picturesque traditional villages and towns. It's ideal for those who seek adventurous holidays as long as ancient and later greek monuments.
4.Thessaly has it all, be it exotic and breathtaking beaches and big modern cities, au alpine mountains,lakes, and wide fields. Most important, it's where wewe can see Meteora, the famous giant rocks that look as if they are hunging in the air.
5.Central Greece. Athens is a huge city and it has EVERYTHING. It's too crowded, a lot of traffic jam, jamu and the center sometimes is a mess. BUT
it has the most spectacular ancient greek monuments, the best museums, an oasis for shopping and fashion, other outstanding features (like the usayaria, planetarium which is the largest in Europe and America) and an extremely active nightlife. But if wewe 're zaidi into naturally beautiful and picturesque cities, there's a whole bunch of greek cities which are better for you. Apart from Athens, Central Greece has peaceful, typically Greek villages, Ski resorts,mountainous areas and...many celebrities!
6.Apart from being very beautiful, Peloponnese carries a glorious history too. Amazing ancient greek theaters like the famous Epidaurus, ancient cities and tombs, but also stunning monuments of the byzantine era as well as of the Greek Independence War(e.g Monemvasia, Mistras). The beaches are fantastic and there wewe can find one of the most beautiful greek cities, Nafplio. Now the islands
The Greek islands are so many that they are categorized in groups. These are: Islands of Northern and Eastern Aegean Sea, Sporades, Cyclades, Euboea, Islands of Argosaronikos, Dodecanese, Crete and Ionian islands au Eptanisa.
1. Islands of Northern and Eastern Aegean Sea are usually large and have many cultural sights that are worth visiting. Sometimes they remind of the greek mainland. Unusual natural sights can be seen there too(like the desert in Lemnos). Beautiful towns.
2.Sporades have some great beaches and they are full of forests. Skiathos island gains zaidi and zaidi celebrity attention the last years, while Alonnisos is great for those interested in wildlife and enviroment protection.
3.Cyclades are the most famous Greek islands. Islands like Santorini and Mykonos belong to them. Here wewe will see the most typical greek houses, white with blue roofs. These islands are huge black rocks, the trees are too few and the winds are strong. Their beauty is wild and unique. Don't go to Mykonos if wewe don't like extreme nightlife and too expensive services. If wewe want to see weird, uncommon but breathtaking maoni try Milos, which looks as if wewe are on the Moon. If wewe seek wonderful beaches, go to the smaller and less famous islands.If wewe like European city style, go to Syros. As for Santorini, it's true that no place in the world looks like it. But I suggest wewe go there when wewe are in a upendo affair!
4.Euboea is the sekunde largest island in Greece. It has beautiful large cities and wewe can go there through a big bridge which unites it with the mainland. Ideal for tranquil and relaxing holidays.
5.Islands of Argosaronikos are close to Athens and are considered as aristocratic, because they have always been a inayopendelewa destination for artists and aristocrats. The islands have many beautiful buildings, carriages with farasi etc. In Hydra island there are no cars at all.You can only rent a donkey!
6. Dodecanese look a bit like Cyclades, with the difference that there is actually plant life there. The weather is hot, the maoni are beautiful and romantic. These islands are great for peaceful relaxing. Plus
Rhodes island belongs to them...Enough said.Seriously what can I say about Rhodes?The deers in the port,the Medieval ngome of the Knights, the valley of the butterflies,the beaches??Anyway.
7.Crete is the largest island and the inayopendelewa destination even for most Greeks. It's so big that wewe shouldn't visit unless wewe plan to stay over a week. Large gorgeous and lively cities, mountains, ancient minoan monuments like Knossos, extraordinary beaches and a lot of tradition kept alive. Some people there keep dressing, speaking and behaving traditionally. chakula is exceptional.
8.The Ionian islands is the place where wewe find the greatest shade of blue there is. At least in my opinion. Some of the best beaches in the world and gorgeous cities with an old european feel (e.g Corfu).
So this was it. Excuse me for the length of this article, I tried my best to shorten it as much as I could! Anyway, I hope that if wewe ever decide to travel to Greece,this will help wewe a bit to decide what is best for you. That would be a joy for me :) Oh, and I hope I didn't describe any place wrong, if wewe find mistakes about a place, please inform me in a kind way! :)
Thessaloniki in Macedonia
Meteora in Thessaly
Athens in Central Greece
Islands of Northern and Eastern Aegean Sea
Islands of Argosaronikos