Grimm Episode Discussion

Swanpride posted on Apr 18, 2012 at 08:28PM
Because I think we should have a place do discuss the newest developments in the show

Grimm 23 majibu

Click here to write a response...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Swanpride said…
To kick this off: I really enjoyed last episode. So much background stuff. Though it will need some time to sort this out. So, there are the seven royal families, the Verrat, who somewhat work for them, but also seem to follow their own agenda, the Reapers, who are hunting the Grimms, Grimms, which allied themselfes with the royals and somehow upset the ballance...

Also interesting the offhand remark in the video that the Verrat killed innocent Wesen (so much for the theory that all Grimm hunted all the Wesen without difference), because they intermarried with other species.

I really look forward to the next episode.
Even though I seem to be the only one frequenting the forum here so far, here some thoughts about the first season of Grimm.

What they did well:
1. Nick! Despite all the complains about him at the beginning, I like how he slowly grew into the role of a Grimm. By now, he doesn't have a "not another one" expression when he sees a new Wesen, he developed from a cop who happens to be a Grimm, to a Grimm who happens to be a cop.

2. Monroe and Rosalie: I put those two together, because they represent the Wesen world, and they are the perfect characters for it. I love both of them to bits!

3. The casting: I think the way this show makes me care for the one time characters is unique in all the shows out there. I keep hoping that we'll see Roddy and Gracie, Holly and Ian again sooner or later. And naturally the beavers. Everthing is better with beavers.

What could have been better:
1. The villains: Don't get me wrong I love Renard to bits. But there is so much wasted potential. His one big intrigue ended in a simple blackmail scheme, which was a little bit disappointing and the reapers would be much more menacing if the didn't keep killing of each other. None of the villains in the shows are boring, but I really hope that we'll go more into the great danger Nick has to beware from next season.

2, The German. Towards the end, it got better, but I'm still not over the Mellischwuler. I really hope that they hire an expert for this kind of thing.

3. Juliette: Felt way too often tacked on. I hope with her newfound knowledge that will change next season.

What desperatly needs improvement:

The pacing! One moment the show seems to stagnate, the next moment it's racing towards - whatver. In one episode, nothing interesting happens, in the next, three storylines at the same time pop up. You think a character has seen something, the next episode he seems to be clueless. Nevermind that Nick somehow went from considering to leave Juliette to suddenly proposing to her.

Oh well. My favorite stand alone episodes of this season were "Danse Macabre, Organ Grinders and Game Ogre.
My favorite "we add to the story-arc" episodes were "Cat and Mouse", "Leave it to the beavers" and "Island of dreams" (not necessarily in that order)
last edited zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
Yeah! Season premiere!

But I have to say, I'm worried about the new direction of the show - I don't want a neverending arc, I don't need more blood (truthfully, what they did in season one was way more chilling than all this blood), all those storylines felt overwhelmind, I liked Nick as "normal guy who dealt with a crazy world", I don't want him to be the one who has to rescue it ... basically they took everything I was glad Grimm WASN'T doing, because I got tired with it, and put it into this ep.

Liked the mommie's, liked Rosalee, Renard cracked me up - overall the ep was okay, but I'm worried. And I hope they resolve this next ep and go back to the case of the week.

Hate the new opening, though. Really, really hate it!
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita marlanido said…
^i understand where your concerns are coming from , i also like the "case of the week" that they usually have but i think it will go back to that,i think they just needed to explore the cliffhangers they left in season one,i hope anyway, i was pissed that there wasn't much nick being a total badass kicking wesen but because they ended it with to be continued which is annoying -_-

but yeah my only concern for this one was not enough action.

u hate the new opening? i think its alright , original which i like.

Original? They did something similiar for Buffy (with the difference that this one was done well) . I think it's very corny - plus, it's misleading (Nick is neither the only one who sees the Wesen, nor are the Wesen necessarily Dark) and it totally pokes at one of my pet peeves, the cobbling together of idioms, which might sound great but make no sense at all. "Lived a live which was so strange that it had be true"??????? If I live, my live is ALWAYS true, never mind how strange (or normal) it is. The old one always put me in the right mood for the show, but this one has the opposite effect.

It's not just the case of the week - I don't want Nick to a some sort of slayer who has to rescue the world. There are enough of this kind out there. I liked him to as a silent rebel, who was changing the world just by doing what it's right in his little corner - like a stone who is thrown into the water and makes waves.
i don't want to offend you but the buffy intro is just a montage with the actors names? how it that the same? sorry hehe, i get your point about putting you in the right mood for the show tho it does the same for me with the old one and not the new one but i was specifically talking about the editing,because i love editing sorry if i confused you,

i think i get it now you don't want it to become supernatural #2, i think it will stay the same the only way i can see it going into save the world mode for all the season would be if they keep going more into detail about the seven families as an overall season mission .
That was the later intro....at one point they had one in which Giles explained the slayer story (second season, I think...it's a little foggy)

Yeah, exactly...there is a reason I stopped watching Buffy and gave supernatural a pass. I'm over the slayer story, I don't need another one. What I like about Grimm is the relation to the fairy tale and to the real world - but with Juliette in a coma and Hank barely in the episode, the normal grounding for Nick was missing, he stopped to be a cop and was just the slayer. Didn't help that they went from "sometimes off-putting, but subtle" to simpy "horror movie gory", that the forests of Portland were replaced with dirty warehouses, that the FBI agents had no point at all, that, after a good start, the relationship between Nick and his Mom lost all the tension and turned into a boring exposition dumb, that they decided to add yet another secret organisation and a new player into the mix....
The whole episode felt overwrought and not really Grimm-like.

I cracked up whenever Renard turned up, though. It's rare that he is off his game, and this time he was one step behind everyone else for a long time.
Another show which uses the exposition introduction currently is "Merlin" - and again, that's actually well done.
oh i dont watch it but i saw one of the intros once, lol yeah the fbi agents were basicly food XD i agree with you there even if i hate hank he still needs to be in the show and judging by the title of 2x02 juliette is probably gonna be awaikened, but she probably wont remember that nick is a grimm which is frustrating they teased about her not remembering at comic con but i didnt take it seriously, i see what your saying maybe this epiosde was this way because of them focusing on nick's mom returning but i found it strange how he got over the fact she abandoned him so quickly ,i hope it gets back to normal

i know, i hope we figure out his motives with nick,,

really? i tried watching merlin and i found the show itself ,cheesy that it made me uncomfortable, i just watched the intro and it does the same as the show i will admit its great editing but still cheesy :P
Well, the intro is well done....not the show. That one relies waaaaay to much on visiuals and single great moments. And in this case, a little bit cheesiness is okay, because it fits the overall tone of the show.
yeah the editing in the intro is wonderfully edited, lol i guess yeah ,i know, its because its a bbc show
with a lower production rate :P

Well, at least they managed to write a text which actually makes sense.
I guess the show spoiled me last season...I mean, the episodes so far were good. But that's just it. They were good but nothing more. I'm still waiting for an episode which grips me like "Danse Macabre", "Cat and Mouse" or "Leave it to the Beavers" did last season. This week was, as often, good and bad at the same time. Like: I'm happy that they didn't use some "finding myself" nonsense to get Rosalee out of the picture for the while. But where the hell does her mother and aunt suddenly come from? Wasn't it established that she was the last relative of Freddie, and didn't she always speak about her parents in the past, so where the hell is suddenly the mother coming from? I really like Julietten and Nick having dinner, it was cute, but thanks to the promo I expected her to remember and I'm really annoyed that this didn't happen. And I adore Renard, but I'm getting tired of veiled suggestions which aren't really provide any development. All in all I think that his and Juliette's Amnesia story-line are both dragged out way too long, and it's high time that we get some movement on this front.
Is it bad that I don't really mind Angelina dying?
Okay, who else was very, very annoyed with the dream sequence? Two weeks of teasing and then all we get is the cheapest cop-out ever? I really, really want to strangle someone.
^ I'm So Pissed They Did That 2 us i was like yay she finally remembers and accepts him as a grimm but then AHHHHHH seriously!!! also im getting really tired of them promoting other episodes in a single episodes promo -_- other than that it was good .
Well, as she started to say she knew he was a Grimm and totally okay with it, I knew this would turn out to be a dream. But I'm really tired of her not remembering, and to add insult to injury, it seems that Renard isn't the only one obsessed. The amnesia is bad enough, but now not even her feelings are her own? I'm sick of the writers victimizing her! (And I don't even particulary like her character).
I really really hope that they'll put an end to the whole amnesia and obsession storyline, soon. I'm tired of this...and it has been ages since they presented a good adaption of a fairy tale.
Thank god that's over! The whole amnesia/obsession nonsense really ruined the second season for me...I hope they will get back to the good stuff in season three....
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita jenkins1 said…
I agree, the amnesia thing grew a bit tiresome. However, I am really looking forward to this new "zombie" episode. It looks very intriguing, and by the looks of the steam-punk-style clothing featured in the previews, I believe that this could capture the real spirit of Portland. I live just across the river from Portland, so I know that steam-punk and zombies are something that is very common in the Rose City.
Not sure what to think about it...you never know with Grimm. Sometimes they take the most tired of Premises and make it good, and sometimes they ruin something which should work well.
Still not sold on the Zombies, but that was a really, really good cliff-hanger. Even if Nick was very stupid to run into the trap like that....
And yes, I totally saw the ending coming....especially since most of it was spoiled by the title and the preview. I guess the preview monkeys of Grimm will never learn.
intrigued1 commented…
They always ruin the endings. It gets tiresome. I am glad that Juliet is on board now. I like that they kept her out of the loop for so long. Her deciding to learn about all of this on her own without Nick. Shows that she is there for the long haul i guess wewe could call it that. lol zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita intrigued1 said…
They keep saying that Nick will be changed from this event forever. So we know that he will live, but going back to being just Portland Detective with a hobby isn't going to be an option. This is a whole new group of crimefighters now.
intrigued1 commented…
It would be neat to see if they meet someone who makes wessen equipment and potions. Maybe they can ubunifu some glasses for Hank and Juliet to use so they can see wessen too. zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita intrigued1 said…
It was brought up in the finale that there were still keys out there, and where were the other Grimms? I think that there will be another Grimm showing up in the 1st or 2nd episode. Perhaps Nick's own father..... dun dun duuuunnnnn! lol. Well we found out his mom was alive, why not Dad?
Swanpride commented…
Who says that his dad was a Grimm, too? I don't think that he was. zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
intrigued1 commented…
wewe are right. It was never said, nothing was ever alisema about his dad at all. Except when his mom showed up and alisema they had been murdered, but she wasnt in the car with his dad. It was her friend who was mistaken for her. So his mom lied to protect him. For all we know his dad could be a royal. Maybe his mom lied to him again... We do know that she is up to something though. The last time we saw her she lied to Nick about where she was going and then aliiba a car. zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
intrigued1 commented…
Or, duh it just dawned on me, what if Nick has a sister au brother that he doesnt know about. zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita