Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters The Problems with Fairy Tale Adaptations

PrincessTiana posted on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:37PM
I am feeling hyped for this Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters but I don't want to disappoint myself, like I did with Snow White & the Huntsman.

It seems that now fairy tale stories are becoming a grab for Hollywood to make a buck on with the ever growing movie adaptations and tv shows. Once Upon A Time tackles many different fairy tales & their characters. It seems to be a fad now.

But not all of these fairy tale adaptations have been any good. Mirror, Mirror seems to be very creative with designs and sets but lacks story. But this did come from the same man that made Immortals. So we all should expect him to "fuck a story" and just focus on visuals.

Snow White and the Huntsman looked incredible in some scenes but the performances weren't that good and the film took itself too seriously and sucked out the fun. Many scenes that happened didn't have any relevance to the plot.

Red Riding Hood seemed to be the most different with the fairy tale but also very cliché. It just combined three already made products, Charles Perrault's story, Stephenie Meyer's love triangle angst with shirtless men, and Neil Jordan's horror. It wasn't original at all.

and so wasn't Rupert's Snow White and the Huntsman with shots that looked like they copied from Lord of the Rings and Princess Mononoke.

Can I also say that every film about Snow White has gotten her character completely wrong? Many films portray her as a loving and sweet character that will surface herself for others. She doesn’t even have any grieve towards the evil queen that poisoned her with the apple. This is in EVERY adaption. It doesn’t matter if they put her in armor and give her a sword she is still portrayed as the loving light of hope that is the complete opposite of the evil queen. From the surface that sounds nice because the character is the protagonist so she should be nice and none violent. Yes. Being nice and sweet and caring for others are good qualities. But Snow White in the original story doesn’t embody those qualities.

Snow White is very much like the Evil Queen. She may be even more vain than queen herself. The reason why she is able to be tricked three times by the queen because she values her beauty as well. An comb, a bodice, an apple. Those are all things used to advance beauty. Snow White wants to be beautiful. So Snow white doesn't embody "beauty in the inside".

And at the end when she is brought back to life Snow White gives the evil queen iron shoes so she can dance in till she burns to death. And this is at Snow White’s wedding. She feels pleasure in making the queen suffer and how ironic she gave the queen shoes. Again something else that would be associated with beauty. So Snow White doesn't embody "pure or kindness". But all these movies make her pure and innocent when she’s not.

I would really like for directors to really read the original work of the fairy tales and understanding what these stories are trying to say than just watch the Disney version and think all they have to do is add in angst to make their adaptations dark and inventive. The original fairy tales are already dark and twisted.
 I am feeling hyped for this Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters but I don't want to disappoint myself, l

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters No majibu