House, M.D. A discussion about Obama and "Role Model"

oldmovie posted on Nov 06, 2008 at 08:33PM
Lol I should be doing homework...oh well.

This topic proves just how obsessed I am with House MD. While I was watching Obama's victory speech two nights ago, it got to the part where he was thanking everyone and I sort of tuned out waiting for him to get back to his speech, which was amazing by the way. Well my mind wandered a bit and I suddenly remembered the House episode from season 1 called, "Role Model".

In the episode to quote wikipedia, "African American Presidential candidate Senator Gary H. Wright vomits and collapses at a fund raiser."

"As Sen. Wright's condition improves he tells House he is still running for President even though he knows he will not win, because he believes it will make the path easier for those who follow him. "

HOW FREAKING WIERD/ IRONIC IS THAT? 4 years ago, House MD predicted (to use the term loosely) a black senator to try to run for president, only they got the ending wrong lol....HE WON!!

Anyways I thought that was interesting, what about you guys?

House, M.D. 6 majibu

Click here to write a response...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita misanthrope86 said…
WOW! I hadn't thought of that!

I don't have much time right now, so I will be back to discuss it some more! I think I will go watch the episode too!
Ok, so I went back and watched the episode and you are so right! There are so many parallels between that episode and themes that have been prominent throughout this presidential election.

There is a part in the episode when the Senator talks to Foreman about how black politicians have to lie less than their white counterparts because they can't get away with it. And if they do lie or screw something up, they will be considered a disgrace to the race, and that is something that white politicians don't have to deal with. Lots have people have said similar stuff about Obama: that if he does a bad job, then it will be attributed to his 'blackness' and then another black person will never be elected to the White House.

If is so weird that the show has dealt with an issue that then rears its head 3 years later. But I guess recent events have proven House wrong! LOL!

Thanks for reminding me of this episode. It is so cool to make these connections with real life.
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita EverybodyLies said…
This ep came on USA on ELECTION DAY!!
I WAS FREAKING OUT!
Wow! Really? Maybe they deliberately put it on...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita house_whatelse said…
I actually watched that right when Barrack had started running against Hilary to be the Democratic Nomeniee and thought about it and then I totally forgot about it, and then when he won nomeniee I thought about it again and watched it again and then forgot about it and then I was going to actually mention that again but then it looked like you beat me to it OM.
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Biathine said…
Heh XD It's not so long I watched this episode and all I thought was - okay, so Obama won't win, they say it on HOuse md ! XD
And then he goes and win it. 8-)))