Parenting Great things your kids say

harold posted on Jun 20, 2007 at 03:12PM
I just wanted to offer us all an opportunity to share the funny or sweet things our kids say, along the lines of "Kids Say the Darndest Things" (dates me, I know). What have your kids said that really made an impression?

Parenting 12 majibu

Click here to write a response...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita harold said…
Here's some from my 4-year-old son:

"I'm bigger than Doctor Who!"

"I think there's a monster in my ear, using his hand to block it."

"Daddy, you should chop yourself into firewood."
last edited zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Temptasia said…
Here's a good one. My mom was saying that I was getting what I deserved when my daughter was being naughty. I said, "No she's better than I deserve. She's an angel." And my daughter says, "No mommy I'm naughty."
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Temptasia said…
Read my spapbox for more!
Here's one he said tonight:

"Daddy, Optimus Prime can borrow my towel, OK?"
Can you detect a pattern? While my son doesn't see any of these shows, he's the child of two pop-culture fans, and so a fair amount of the names seep into his awareness. This results in a bunch of these quotes that strike me as funny.

Since my daughter is in the hospital and my wife staying with her, I've had to come up with day care for my son. For some days, unable to find any, I've had to take him with me to the office. Here's a couple more things he's said.

On one particular day, he had been with me in my office for a long time, and was getting more and more noisy after hours of being cooped up. I took him for a walk to blow off some steam, and in passing a group of conference rooms named after different TV shows, I pointed out the one called "Doctor Who". He suddenly grew very quiet and started whispering. I had to lean over to understand him:

"We have to be really quiet, daddy, so that Dr. Who doesn't hear us and call the aliens' names so that they'll attack us."

He whispers every time we walk the halls at work, now.

Driving from work to get lunch, he noticed a sports car in the parking lot with a tarp protecting it: "Daddy, that car has a cover on it! Why did they do that?" He thought for a moment. "They must be BAD guys!"
OK, so here's some more Blake quotes.

We were doing some last-minute Christmas shopping on 22 December. As we crossed the parking lot, a family emerged from a nearby store, and we overheard them in mid-conversation. The young man said "Dad, you know we're keeping the Star Wars thing!" "Oh, really?" the dad started to reply, but we'd already walked on and so didn't eavesdrop any further. But my son said "Daddy - he said Star Wars!!!" I chuckled, and said, "Yes, he did, son...what does that mean?" "uh...I dunno."
Here's a Blake quote from this morning, as we washed our hands. When I asked what he was doing inspecting his hands so closely, he explained: "I'm looking for bubbles: pop! Hey, you don't belong there (talking to a bubble), you belong down there! (he points to the drain) They go swoosh! down there. Then they float along and whoop! people scoop them up and put them in bottles to sell to kids."

Then, while I was laughing, he added: "But not to me...because they don't know me."
My mom used a logical argument with me when I was a kid, in order to convince me to not be fussy about mixing my food together on my plate/fork. She said: "It all mixes together in your tummy!"

Well, it made sense to me. So I tried it on Blake tonight when he was fastidiously separating his chicken from his lentils from his maize. "It's all going to mix together in your tummy, Blake!"

To which he replied: "So it'll make cake?"
Another Blake one, from tonight:
"Passion...I think there's passion in the world."
Me: "Passion?"
Blake: "Yes, a secret, new passion in the world that's never been before. It's new today. But I don't know it because it's secret."

Aside: I think that passion, like "Star Wars" is a phrase whose sound he likes, but the meaning of which he has no idea.
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita deathnote said…
:) funny!!
Tonight I was explaining about durian.
Son: "Durian?"
Me: "Yes. It's a fruit that some people really like, but that smells really bad when you cook it. So bad that it's illegal to cook it in some countries."
Son: "Even for Obama."
Overheard from my 4-year-old daughter:
"Goodbye, Mr. Cockroach. Have a nice time being dead."