Mafuatano ya Twilight What was the Problem?

mandapanda posted on Dec 08, 2008 at 04:37AM
What was the problem with Catherine? I personally can't see why everyone wanted to replace her? Was it because her lack of experience in a massive franchise such as Twilight? Everyone had a problem with the movie following the book, but seriously, the movie follwed the book extremely well! i don't know why everyone has been complaining? I mean, yeah, Catherine wasn't able to capture the depth of Bella and Edward's relationship, but that is because of all they tried to put into the movie to make all the fans happy! I don't know what everyone is complaining about. The storyline had the major plot included in it, and plus they made the story complete. No holes. We all know Twilight is a very personal story.. NOT like Harry Potter books. Completely different. It was very hard to capture Bella's thoughts and translate them into a visual thing. But, I think they did extraordinary considering what they had to work with. 35 million as a budget is not even close to what the movies need. Please share why you have a problem with Catherine, her directing, or the movie. I just want to understand why?

Mafuatano ya Twilight 11 majibu

Click here to write a response...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita aanniiee_ said…
But that's just it, the movie's storyline DIDN'T include the major plot; that is, "the depth of Bella and Edward's relationship." She barely touched the surface of the profoundness of their love, which is what the entire series is about. They had a total of like 2 minutes of conversation, and suddenly they were in love. Catherine didn't include many significant scenes from the book in which Edward and Bella really got to know one another.
And the meadow scene was terrible. As soon as they went to the woods, and Bella started saying, "you're impossibly fast..." I was like, oh you have GOT to be kidding me. The ENTIRE scene, which was supposed to be the pivotal moment in their relationship, was him getting in her face and intensely warning her that he is dangerous - and then, boom, they were laying next to each other in a (darkish) meadow - not speaking, of course, because when did they ever speak during the movie? It was giving me secondhand awkwardness just watching those two together.
And Edward's character was laughable - and literally, I laughed every time he opened his mouth and said something. He was just TOO intense. In the book, he becomes all comfortable and happy after the meadow scene. But that didn't happen in the movie. He remained all gloomy and weird. Isn't Eward supposed to enrapture you? Isn't he supposed to be all confident and glowing, like an angel, as Meyer constantly compares him to? And he just WASN'T. He was soo AWKWARD. He was always flashing that "crooked smile" of his in the book; I think he cracked a smile like 3 times in the movie.
That was my major ish with this movie. And there are more. But there were a lot of people, like the people in front of me in the theater, that hadn't read the book and were really confused! Edward and Bella's relationship slash love just wasn't portrayed clearly AT ALL.
last edited zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita hellgirl223 said…
Wait... What? Theyre replacing her???!?!?!?!!!
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita mandapanda said…
so you're saying you would have the entire Twilight movie, the whole thing, based on just Edward and Bella. Don't get me wrong, I would too, but they needed the full storyline which include the Nomads. Through what we saw in the movie, everything you said they didn't need to include, makes their relationship stronger in the movie. I think thats why they approached it like that. And what scenes did you want to see in the movie that was pivotal to the plotline?

I admit their relationship was rushed, but I don't think you could have shown the "profoundness of their love" as you said in a movie. I just think that is untranslatable...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Nyssa said…
Well, I personally don't understand how some people could find the movie perfect.

Yes, I understand that they had to fit a 500-pages book into script, work with a low budget + limited time and produce a movie that would not only please those who have read the book but also those who have not. So, it's ok to change/add some scenes. It's ok and perfectly understandable to leave out some parts of the book. BUT it's definitely not ok to screw up the characters themselves! The screenplay and acting were mostly awful.

Rob's reaction in the Biology class was unintentionally so funny. Him stiffening and edging away would have done the job better than convulsing and acting like he was about to vomit. He doesn't seem good with facial expressions. Perhaps, the camera work is partly to be blamed - the closeups throughout the movie are at times way too much. And seriously, that 'glare' he threw at Bella, that was supposed to be the "if looks could kill" thing? Oh yeah, well it nearly killed me. I nearly died from laughing so hard.

It doesn't get any better in the next Biology class scene. The way he greeted Bella and introduced himself, he sounded so unsure of himself - when he should have really appeared polite. Same for when he was walking down the hall after biology, questioning Bella. His tone so dull. Since Edward can't read Bella's mind, he is intent on deciphering her facial expressions. But Rob just stared at the floor only looking at her when HE's talking. The curiosity and interest that Rob should have conveyed here is not convincing, if not doesn't show at all. And his reaction to Kirsten's "wearing contacts" line, that seemed so wrong. Where's the confident Edward?

And the accident scene. *frowns* He ran off? The Edward who consider himself as the lookout for his family, the vampire who should not let any humans be suspicious about their existence! He ran off! Leaving Bella behind - a Bella (bah, she didn't even hit her head) who could have very well babble to the others about what she'd seen! Plus *points at dent in Tyler's van* what about the evidence? The accident just doesn't seem to have been well planned out.

Poor acting from Rob during most of the movie, really and together with the dialogue which is sometimes *winces* makes it worse. Do I really have to list all of it? The conversation in the car after he rescued Bella, and over the dinner at the restaurant?

And here comes the worst part: Bella's confrontation with Edward in the forest *grimaces*. Ok, she tells him that she's not afraid and he now wants to convince her how dangerous he really is. So, he goes: "You need to see what I look like in the sunlight!" (eerie dramatic music playing all this while, mind you) So, to prove his point, he decides to show her how his skin glitters in the sunlight!? o_O Plus, you could hear windchimes! WINDCHIMES! (or whatever that sound is). And the way Rob goes about being "the world's most dangerous predator" and telling Bella how he wants to kill her, about how her scent is like a drug to him - they were so poorly delivered (and at this point it had become ridiculous) that it was hilarious. Turning this conversation into some kind of dramatic climax doesn't work at all here. And the tragic tone it took on afterwards just isn't right.

The second half of the movie was at least better and more bearable to watch. Still, there are some parts of it that made me wince & laugh. Actually, there are more scenes/details throughout the whole movie that I think could have been changed and developed but.. this is getting long. :D If ya want, I can elaborate on them later.

Kirsten's performance was better than Rob's, but she should have been more expressive in her portrayal of Bella imo. Again, camera work not great. Makeup for some (yes, esp. Carlisle) = baaad. Music too is bad and doesn't fit sometimes. I think the poor acting and screenplay are the most appalling problems with the movie.

I didn't dislike every minute of the movie. There were some parts that I enjoyed watching, but for the most part I found the movie lame.
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita aanniiee_ said…
"so you're saying you would have the entire Twilight movie, the whole thing, based on just Edward and Bella." eh no, that's not really what I said; the Nomad parts were important, of course. What I said was, the entire series is based on Edward and Bella's love, and it was barely present in the movie. They should have emphasized more how their relationship grows and becomes stronger. Instead, they skipped the whole development part and went right to intensity. It just didn't work. They should have placed more emphasis on the meadow scene; they should have added parts where Edward is testing how close he can get to her (because the kiss, though hot, was too much for their first kiss); they should have included parts where Edward actually seems happy to be with Bella; they should have had scenes where Edward and Bella really talk. And I know that obviously there were issues with time, I just think it could have been handled a lot better. Like I said, there were people in the theater who couldn't follow what was happening, because they hadn't read the book. And you're probably right, the profoundness of their love IS hard to portray. However, the development of their love ISN'T. And that's what was missing.

Also, I agree with ^everything Nyssa said.
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita hayleyhoo said…
I disagree with you here I love the books but the film is a different thing in itself and so its not really comparable to the book but i think the way they showed their love was good it was just enough i think for the length of the film, if they had had more time they would probably have been able to add more but for what time they had it was great
I think that Rob and kristen did a great job - we all had such high expectations for bella and edward that they did amazingly well with the pressure of such big parts (this was Robs first main part in a film)
I also think that the music went really well witht the film and made it even more enjoyable to watch
I'm sad that Catherine wont be directing New Moon but hope that whoever they get can make New Moon good and that Catherine has good luck with the rest of her films!
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita mandapanda said…
Nyssa, I think that Rob acted that way was to show the inner struggle. First off, the book as we all know is from Bella's POV. And, when he is supposed to be sure of humself, she somewhat sees through his pretenses. Not everyone read the book, and I think they wanted to portray the character in that way as well. And yes, the windchimes... i did not find that too pleasant... haha. but still, overall, I thought it was a good movie. Maybe not the best, but still enjoyable. and Thank you for helping me understand a little better as to why everyone hated the movie so much :)
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita vianessvondrak said…
i love catherine!!
she did great!!
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Nyssa said…
Yeah, Rob tried to show the 'inner struggle' but it wasn't convincing. Especially for those who haven't read the book, one would think he was struggling not to throw up and he even looked like near faint just before the bell rang. The revulsion, hostility and tension that should have looked obvious during that scene were so feeble instead - because of the poor acting.

"And, when he is supposed to be sure of humself, she somewhat sees through his pretenses. Not everyone read the book, and I think they wanted to portray the character in that way as well."

I take it you mean like when Bella asked Edward if he got contacts? Yeah, in a way, she caught him in a lie but I don't like how they went about it in the movie. In it, when Edward realized what Bella meant, he was about to tell her why his eyes got different! That's so not Edward-like.

If they really wanted to show that Edward was 'lying', they could have instead have Rob shrug, tell Bella that he got to go and walk away looking a bit grim (something like that). And show Bella looking skeptical & confused. Add a flashback of Edward's black eyes as she'd seen them before. And then perhaps have Kristen shake her head in a way that makes it look like she's thinking maybe she was going crazy. :D

Aaah windchimes - I think I'll end up laughing every time I come across one now x)
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita doyouknow said…
Aparently the production company are worried they'll lose money. Because over the course of all the advertising girls just became obsessed with Rob, and they're scared that they won't make as much money if new fans especially don't see him?

I think it's stupid. I do agree the movie was good but Rob and Kristen aparently tried to make it all really meaningful even in scenes where humour might have been necessary. I judt thought some of it was too intense and that we never saw the full development of Bella and Edward's relationship
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita musiclikelove said…
i agree that we did not see the full developements of the relationship. and it was a bit choppy. it jumped around a lot. i had to explain some of the parts to my friends so they could follow along. i really didn't like that they took so much away from the other characters though. that was upsetting. because alice and jasper are an important part of the story, especially at the end, and in other books. emmett is an important commic relief/big brother figure in the book that calms some of the intensity. rosalie is important, especially in breaking dawn. esme and carlisle are the parents, and were not present much in the books, so that was fine. but not everyone is a major 'edward and bella' fan, and they were just really moving so fast, which is not a good example to set for the girls that are going to go around looking for 'love at first vampire sight' from now on. the books were more developed. i did however like the acting. i like catherine, but i don't think she's right for the movie.