Unbelievable Kutna Hora- The Bone Chappel

ztara posted on Dec 17, 2007 at 08:48PM
So i posted in the random facts fourum about a chapel with a chandellere made of bones. Iv looked it up and it is one of the most disturbing things i think iv ever seen.

The Sedlec Ossuary (a.k.a. Kostnice) is a small Christian chapel decorated with human bones. It's located in Sedlec, which is a suburb in the outskirts of the Czech town Kutna Hora. Not obly do they have a chandellere but the entire church is covered in the remains of between 40 to 70,000 bodys.

Let me explain. In 1278, the Abot of The Sedlec Ossuary (Abot Henrey) visited the Holy Lands of Palistine. He brough back with him a jar of "Holy Earth" which he spread over the Ossuary's grave yard. People from far and wide wanted to be buryed under this "Holy Earth" and very soon the grave yard was ram packed with over 30,000 (thats right 30,000!) bodys.

In 1511 a Half blind monk was made to move this mass of bones into the crypt, to make room for new buisness (of corse!) and there they lay until 1870 when a local woodcarver by the name of František Rint was asked by the Duke of
Shwartzenberg to decorate the chappel with said bones.

This he did using over 40,000 bodys (some estimate upto 70,000) making alsorts from chandellers to challeces to even the dukes coat of arms! (see pictures for a look)

id like to state that this is a propper christian church with a crusifix (not made out of bones!) and not some cult or Satanic thing. All the bones are REAL but the church itself is made of stone.

****you can look at pictures via. the link bellow but BE WARNED its not exactally plesent viewing****

link
last edited on Dec 17, 2007 at 08:52PM

Unbelievable 4 majibu

Click here to write a response...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita amazondebs said…
wow that's amazing and all because of a tiny jar of dirt, people belief and faith is unreal
last edited zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita ztara said…
yeh i think one of the sick facts is that this František Rint's family were involved in the arangment. His wife and kids!
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita amazondebs said…
i don't think it's sick, i think it looks amazing maybe even beautiful in a gothy kinda way and some of the arrangement and structures are pure genius
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita TheCountess said…
I wonder if H. R. Giger has ever been there or seen pictures. In a way it reminds me of some of his artwork. He's created numerous pieces of artwork that incorporate bones.
If you don't think you're familiar with any of his work... have you ever seen the movie 'Alien'?
Those sets are creations by Giger, as well as the alien. He got involved in the film because Dan O'Bannon showed Ridley Scott a copy of "H.R. Giger's Necronomicon" book. They had to have him!