Debate Educate Yourself.

Cinders posted on Jul 11, 2008 at 07:23AM
If you have an opinion, and it is a valid opinion, than it must be a well-informed opinion. As a rule, I respect everyone's opinion, but believing in misconceptions, disproved theories, propoganda, or just outright lies, is not an opinion, it is a mistake.

A few notes:
If you don't know anything about science, don't say something is scientifically impossible.
If you don't know anything about or have never thought about your religion, don't regurgitate what your parents/priest/Sunday school teacher told you.
If you don't know anything about economics, don't comment on the trickle-down theory or game theory (this works for me).
If you don't know anything about a religion that is not your own, do not criticize it any more harshly than you'd criticize your own.
If you don't know or understand anything about complicated philosophies/theories/religious history don't be so quick to denounce them. In fact, probably just don't comment on them at all.

Why am I writing this?

Many reasons.

I run into too many people who believe that link

I meet too many people who ask me (after I have repeatedly corrected them) that "If we came from monkeys, link

I know too many people who think link

I know too many people who think all Christians are link

I know too many people who disregard a valid theory simply because they do not know anything about it.

I know too many people who argue two different schools of thoughts that are incomparable, apples and oranges, and aren't necessarily opposing schools of thought.

So please. I am begging you. If I ever link you to this forum, I'm asking you to educate yourself. Because I'm tired of trying to do it for you.
last edited on Jul 11, 2008 at 07:27AM

Debate 6 majibu

Click here to write a response...
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita timbitzk said…
Those are really good points, and I couldn't agree more. It annoys me so much when people try to argue against something they know nothing of, or assume things because of a prejudice.
Also, I have a lot of experience with people and your last scenario (if that makes sense).
Props for bringing this up. It needed to be said, and too many people were too lazy to write it themselves. haha
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita dazl said…
What! Educate myself! That there be daderous thinking.

P.S- Without monkeys, we wouldn't have such classic films as 'Dunstan Checks In'.
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita amazondebs said…
lol dazl!

yeah i like to involve my self in every debate i find interesting though, does googling count as educating or do i actually have to learn stuff ;)

seriously yeah i agree with you and my apologies for when i try and argue when history is involved that's when my vague arguments come out and fall flat lol, tis why i like arguements about pencils or cats and dogs, anyone can join in and not feel stupid
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Cinders said…
OK, no, debs--

What you're doing IS educating yourself. Why? Because you LISTEN when someone corrects you, or you listen to the arguments being made. I do that too, especially in economics, with my two friends (a very liberal economist and a very conservative economist) when they argue.

What I'm saying about people is that no one LISTENS when they are corrected, and cling to their misguided "facts."

That's all.
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita amazondebs said…
ohhhhhh right i follow you now

o i'm aloud to make stupid comments like "cinder's doesn't rock" so long as i listen to correction on fact, got ya :D

yeah it fairly anoys me when you comments and someone seem to completley ignore that comments and carry on, not adressing it all, this always seems to happen to poor bliss for some reason
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Cinders said…
LOL, it DOES seem to happen to bliss more than most. Love you, wifey!!!