nukuu Daily Quote

Jonapello23 posted on Nov 27, 2008 at 01:33AM
Quotes are awesome, and I'd like to give everyone a different quote every day that means something to me. I'll try to stay faithful to this, but I might miss a few days. Here's numero uno--

"How wonderful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward." Spanish Proverb

Feel free to give feedback or add quotes of your own. Enjoy-

nukuu 489 majibu

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 151-200 of 489

zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita life_rehab said…
He walks abreast with his days and feels no shame in not 'studying a profession', for he does not postpone his life, but lives already. He has not one chance, but a hundred chances.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
He stops for one second and he's totally overwhelmed by how big the world is and how small and unimportant he is. And as he turns around, we see his face look to the sky. And he says, very quietly, so that no one can hear him: "Dazlious". (Snow Cake - film)
smile
(...)I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan- like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms,(...)

Henry David Thoreau ("Walden")
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita pirate-vampire said…
cool
that's the best feeling ever.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
heart
Corinthians 13:4-7

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
sunny
"Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts."

Oliver Wendell Holmes
"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
(from "Into the wild")
last edited zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
You must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out!

(from "Dead Poets Society")
big smile
Be yourself; no base imitator of another, but your best self. There is something which you can do better than another. Listen to the inward voice and bravely obey that. Do the things at which you are great, not what you were never made for.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
angelic
Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
rainy
Sam: You don't like raisins?
Joon: Not really.
Sam: Why?
Joon: They used to be fat and juicy and now they're twisted. They had their lives stolen. Well, they taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes.

from "Benny and Joon", one of my fav movies...hope you guys see the metaphor...we're all just bloody raisins most of the time
surprise
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”

Mary Anne Radmacher
"If you tickle us, do we not laugh?
If you poison us, do we not die?
And if you wrong us, do we not revenge?"

(from Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice)
“Scars remind us where we’ve been. They don’t have to dictate where we’re going.”

(Criminal Minds)
heart
The greatest happiness of life it the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.

- Victor Hugo
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita crazy_frog222 said…
"speak to someone in a language they understand and it goes into their head; speak to someone in their language and it goes into their HEART"
heart
If all else perished, and HE remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it.

Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights
wink
"Sometimes we do a thing in order to find out the reason for it. Sometimes our actions are questions not answers." John Le Carre
crying
"Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself." James Anthony Froude

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it." Mark Twain

i know there should be only one 'daily quote', but the idea's basically the same
smile
Have no mean hours, but be grateful for every hour, and accept what it brings. The reality will make any sincere record respectable. No day will have been wholly misspent, if one sincere, thoughtful page has been written. Let the daily tide leave some deposit on these pages, as it leaves sand and shells on the shore.

Henry David Thoreau
hmmm
People aren't tactful or polite just because it's nice. They do it... because they've got an ounce of humility. Because they know that they will make mistakes, and they know that their actions have consequences. And they know... that those consequences will be their fault.

from House MD
sad
“Impartiality is a pompous name for indifference, which is an elegant name for ignorance.”

G. K. Chesterton
sad
Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.

Ernest Hemingway
smirk
I hear many condemn these men because they were so few. When were the good and the brave ever in a majority?

Henry David Thoreau
wink
here's a quote in a quote:D

<<Now we all have a great need for acceptance, but you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go, "that's baaaaad." Robert Frost said, "Two roads diverged in the wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.">>

from 'Dead Poets Society'

P.S. i think it would be great if u guys add some of your favourite quotes even though i have already posted one that day...i don't want it to look like i've taken over this forum, i just love to share these quotes:X
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita mooimafish17 said…
^^ that is great
surprise
If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! See what no one else sees. See what everyone chooses not to see... out of fear, conformity or laziness. See the whole world anew each day!

from Patch Adams - film
sunny
Talk of mysteries! — Think of our life in nature, — daily to be shown matter, to come in contact with it, — rocks, trees, wind on our cheeks! The solid earth! the actual world! the common sense! Contact! Contact! Who are we? where are we?

Henry David Thoreau
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Le-Magnifique said…
"Life, every now and then, behaves as though it had seen too many bad movies, when everything fits too well - the beginning, the middle, the end - from fade-in to fade-out."
"Shyness has a strange element of narcissism, a belief that how we look, how we perform, is truly important to other people."
"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing."
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita LostKid said…
Though words, we know what you lived with by lies or accent. Through writing, we see through your eyes. Through drawing, we learn personality. But the heart is an untold curse that destroys your dreams for pain.- Alicia Gregory
Every choice has it's paths, choose wisely and it will benifit your future. -Alicia Gregory
"When you're an addict, you can go without feeling anything except drunk or stoned or hungry. Still, when you compare this to other feelings, to sadness, anger, fear, worry, despair, and depression, well, an addiction no longer looks so bad. It looks like a very viable option."
Without pure, villany is unseekable. It is same with a puddle of water, a mirror, and even the sky. Without one's reverse, one cannot truly say what the other is. - Alicia Gregory
sunny
I don't have any permanent place here. You know, in eternity, or whatever. And the more I think that, I can't go through life saying that this is no big deal. I mean, this is it! This is actually happening. What do you think is interesting, what do you think is funny, what do you think is important? You know, every day is our last.

from 'Before Sunset' - film
"Any place you love is the world to you, but love is not fashionable anymore,the poets have killed it. They wrote so much about it that nobody believed them, and I am not surprised. True love suffers, and is silent." - Oscar Wilde
"Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Samuel Beckett
One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.

Carl Sagan
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita DragonsArt said…
"Tears, they say a lot about them. A stream. A clasp of joy. A bundle of pain. What are really tears but sweet salt water, for I alone have tasted my fair share."-Alicia Gregory
smile
I love Alicia's quotes
“Before they grow so big, the baobabs start out by being little.”

from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Hardly
Aching
Tolerable
Eating disorder
HATE
HATE is bad because you'll get fat off of it-Alicia Gregory
Hast never come to thee an hour,
A sudden gleam divine, precipitating, bursting all the bubbles, fashions, wealth?
These eager business aims - books, politics, art, amours,
To utter nothingness?

Walt Whitman - Hast Never Come to Thee an Hour (the entire poem actually)
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita PoojaA said…
kiss
"People say Love is Life.. Well then I am Lifeless!!"
I jst luv dis line.. A quote sort of!!
"From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines,
Going where I list, my own master total and absolute,
Listening to others, considering well what they say,
Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,
Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me."

from "Song of the Open Road" by Walt Whitman
wink
It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude after own own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
smirk
I am what I am: an individual, unique and different, with a lineal history of an ancestral promptings and urgings, a history of dreams, desires, and of special experiences, of all of which I am the sum total.

Charlie Chaplin

zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita PoojaA said…
wink
I am me.. Let the world be!!