nukuu Daily Quote

Jonapello23 posted on Nov 27, 2008 at 01:33AM
Quotes are awesome, and I'd like to give everyone a different quote every day that means something to me. I'll try to stay faithful to this, but I might miss a few days. Here's numero uno--

"How wonderful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward." Spanish Proverb

Feel free to give feedback or add quotes of your own. Enjoy-

nukuu 489 majibu

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 201-250 of 489

zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita life_rehab said…
I've had different opportunities in my life, but I've tried to maintain the spirit of an amateur. Our culture roots everything in the barometer of success and how much money you make. But if you really just aspire to a life in arts, it's really not a barometer at all.

Ethan Hawke
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Le-Magnifique said…
Orson Welles was an onlooker at the clumsy, poignant suicide of "The Man on the Ledge," which took place in New York in 1938, when a boy perched for fourteen hours on a window-sill of the Gotham Hotel before plunging into the street. "I stood in the crowd outside for a long time," Welles says pensively, "and wanted to make a film of it all. But they tell me that in the Hollywood version of the film they gave the boy a reason for what he did. That's crazy. It's the crowd that needs explaining."
"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever. The goal is to create something that will."

Chuck Palahniuk
zzz
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Albert Einstein
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett
This grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming, on seas and continents and islands, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls.

John Muir
big smile
Life is too deep for words, so don't try to describe it, just live it.

C.S. Lewis
“Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war.”

Albert Einstein
“What if a demon were to creep after you one night, in your loneliest loneliness, and say, 'This life which you live must be lived by you once again and innumerable times more; and every pain and joy and thought and sigh must come again to you, all in the same sequence. The eternal hourglass will again and again be turned and you with it, dust of the dust!' Would you throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse that demon? Or would you answer, 'Never have I heard anything more divine'?”

Friedrich Nietzsche
cool
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.

Bob Dylan
It is curious—curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare.

Mark Twain
sunny
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”

Saint Augustine
zzz
You see things; and you say: "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say: "Why not?"

George Bernard Shaw
“Straight ahead of him, nobody can go very far…”

from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
You just have to be open to allowing for a truth which differs from your own opinions, or else you'll never actually see the truth at all.

Grace is Gone (film)
tongue
The world's a playground. You know that when you are a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.

from Yes Man - the movie
I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

Pablo Neruda - from Cien Sonetos de Amor, XVII
There are seasons, in human affairs, of inward and outward revolution, when new depths seem to be broken up in the soul, when new wants are unfolded in multitudes, and a new and undefined good is thirsted for. There are periods when...to dare, is the highest wisdom.

William Ellery Channing
tongue
What do you want a meaning for? Life is a desire, not a meaning.

Charles Chaplin
People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.

Bob Dylan
Lies are a tool - they can be used either for good or - no, wait, I've got a better one: Lies are like children: hard work, but they're worth it because the future depends on them.

House MD
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita lolibarbie said…
Those are good. I got one:
I threw love at the wall and it bounced back and slapped me in the face.
-Monica Silber
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does is permanent."

Gandhi
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.

Thoreau
rainy
"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet."

Bob Dylan
"Don't forget that I cannot see myself. My role is limited to being the one who looks in the mirror."

Jacques Rigaut
The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it.

J.M.Barrie
“Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.”

Albert Einstein
"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."

Kahlil Gibran
“Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something."

Plato
“C'est véritablement utile puisque c'est joli.”
Antoine de Saint Exupéry "Le Petit Prince"

(English: It is truly useful since it is beautiful.)
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita Mathewkey said…
Hey guys here is a list which wil allow you to find quotes by searching based on an author and makes it easy to find any favorite quote from notable individuals from the past and current times. You can use these fact-lists to start ranking your influential quotations.
hope it helps.

link

last edited zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita
Great occasions do not make heroes or cowards; they simply unveil them to the eyes. Silently and imperceptibly, as we wake or sleep, we grow strong or we grow weak, and at last some crisis shows us what we have become.

Brooke Foss Westcott
zaidi ya mwaka mmoja uliopita mooimafish17 said…
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

Woody Allen
It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue.

Stephen Fry
"If I could uninvent anything, I would uninvent Hitler's mum, guns and broccoli."

Dominic Monaghan
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Sir Winston Churchill
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake up and live!

Bob Marley
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

John Lennon
While there's life there’s hope, and only the dead have none.

Theocritus
"You are also asking me questions and I hear you,
I answer that I cannot answer, you must find out for yourself."

Walt Whitman
"Cease, Man, to mourn, to weep, to wail; enjoy thy shining hour of sun;
We dance along Death's icy brink, but is the dance less full of fun?"

Richard Francis Burton
The poem... is a little myth of man's capacity of making life meaningful. And in the end, the poem is not a thing we see—it is, rather, a light by which we may see—and what we see is life.

Robert Penn Warren
laugh
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Douglas Adams
Remember that, as a teenager, you are in the last stage of your life when you will be happy to hear the phone is for you.

FRAN LEBOWITZ
If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.

Voltaire
big smile
<< Some may ask, "Why act now? Why not wait?" The answer is clear. The world could wait no longer. >>

from "Into the Wild", the movie
I've witnessed first hand the power of ideas, I've seen people kill in the name of them, and die defending them... but you cannot kiss an idea, cannot touch it, or hold it... ideas do not bleed, they do not feel pain, they do not love... And it is not an idea that I miss, it is a man.

Evey Hammond (V for Vendetta)
All lovers swear more performance than they are able… --

William Shakespeare